AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

drive shaft fell off going 50 mph today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GEMLAKEny
Posted 4/11/2009 01:57 (#676618)
Subject: drive shaft fell off going 50 mph today

Waterloo, N.Y.
heading to tractor supply in my 1977 f250 highboy when all of a sudden bang bang bang!. as i slam on the breaks and careen to the side of the road i wipe my but and get out of the truck thinking the worst. luckily the transmission hadnt blown apart, it was the rear part of the drive shaft from the divorced transfer case to rear axel sitting. I swore to myself a couple times then got to work. Luckily i had my tool box with me. soon noticed that the drive shaft simply slipped of the pto of the transfer case the nut had come completely off but was still sitting in the yoke. i split the yoke in half and had to file down a couple of the splines to get it back on the shaft, i put the half of the yolk back and tightened down the nut as best i could then attached rest of drive shaft and everything seemed fine. Couldnt believe more damage wasnt done like bending the shaft or destroying rear gas tank. The only thing that took a hit was the exhaust which had two big dents but somehow didnt not break the manifold seal or put a hole in it (still sounds the same). well be careful guys and check your driveshafts in your old trucks lol. thankfully the whole ordeal only took me 30 minutes and i didnt even have to jack up the truck cause it naturally sits up so high
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)