AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Storing corn...for 25 years (attn. Ron Lukow)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 11/23/2008 22:31 (#514986 - in reply to #514880)
Subject: RE: Storing corn...for 25 years (attn. Ron Lukow)....well..I'll be!!!

Chebanse, IL.....

This internet has made this an unbelievably small world, hasn't it! And you bring back fond memories of a good friend & neighbor.

Yes, that was us in the article. I managed to spend a few minutes digging thru computer photo files to find some pictures. I'm sure there are more, but can't find them right now!

I'd say that was one of the dirtiest shelling jobs I was ever involved in. Not dirty from shucks...which is what we usually called dirty. But just dusty old mold. We all wore paper filter masks that day. Never in my life had I worn a mask shelling corn, though you'd sometimes tie a big blue or red handkerchief over your face...especially if it was cold. But the dust in that corn after 25 yrs was unbelievable. We had long since sold our M-M "E" sheller, so we had another neighbor do the shelling with an old wooden Ottawa. He was a cousin of Eddie's also.

The only person that called him "Edwin" was his mother. To everyone else in this area he was "Eddie". He almost never had a bad word for anyone. I don't think I ever heard him utter a swear word in his life, no matter the circumstance. We filled & shelled that crib for many yrs w/Eddie. I can still smell the "shellers dinner" his mom would make in their house w/the corn-cob stove. Real mashed potatoes w/a few lumps & LOTS of homemade butter in it!! Wow. Luckily, she'd also make us dinner when we filled the crib! Coffee was always boiled on the stove & thinned w/cream from the barn.

Brian, you're very lucky to be related to such an outstanding family. They dedicated their life to that farm & their neighbors. Everyone in this area knew them & their willingness to help. Eddie was an active laborer in many local groups. He helped the local American Legion Post in most of it's efforts, though Eddie never served in the military. I doubt you'd find a more patriotic person however. He always shared news of his nephews & nieces in the service. He was proud of them. He also wrote me regularly when I was drafted in '68. When Eddie would show up @ 0400 in our yard to pick corn, or shell, or bale, he'd always bring my brother & I a little brown paper bag with an apple, a Hersheys Kiss, and 2 sticks of Juicy Fruit gum. He never asked for anything...thanks & a smile was more than enough for Eddie.

If I find more photos, I'll email them to you Brian. There are a lot of Berns yet in this area. Again, thanks for the chance to talk about a fine man & family.

First photo is a scan of pg1 of that newspaper article to which you refer. I can't locate pg2 right now.

Second photo was a b&wh picture of our Uncle Don picking @ Eddie's farm in 1968. We had a 450 on the 2MH picker then. That is Eddie walking towards the fence. That's his JD3010 in the background. They took these photos & sent them to me while I was in the Army.

3rd photo is same field, just a color picture.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)