AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Storing corn...for 25 years (attn. Ron Lukow)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

notill89
Posted 11/23/2008 21:02 (#514880)
Subject: Storing corn...for 25 years (attn. Ron Lukow)

South Central Nebraska

I was reading through a scrap book of our family history and my dad was showing me a newspaper article about a man from Chebanse IL named Edwin Allen (his mother was a Berns) who had a wood crib of corn that he picked in 1972. After he died in 1996 his niece, some neighbors and the current tennents Don and Ron Lukow shelled the corn 25 years after he had picked it. Well I figured this had to be the Ron Lukow that we all know. (There can't be two of them can there?)  Don stated in the article that the corn still had a 55 lb test weight and very little rodent damage thanks to many generations of corn crib cats. They hauled it to town and the niece sold it for around $5/bu. She stated that she thought the corn had been stored long enough. When asked why he kept it for so long they said that he wanted to have it just in case he or someone else had a bad year and needed it for feed. They also stated he still had two piles of dirt from when he built his house. He said that you never know when someone might need some dirt.

Anyway I just thought I would share that with you guys. Ron, is this really you, if so what do you remember anything that the article left out? Maybe with the possible tough times ahead we should all go out and build some wooden corn cribs and fill them with ear corn.

Edited by notill89 11/23/2008 21:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)