AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn: to dry or not to dry?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

brad
Posted 11/23/2008 09:31 (#514271 - in reply to #514245)
Subject: RE: Corn: to dry or not to dry?

Central Kansas
I plant double crop corn also in Central Kansas. This year I chopped the majority of it for silage because at Labor Day we did not even have roasting ears yet. In the past we have let it set up until Christmas and harvest at around twenty percent.

Do you have a local feedlot or cattle feeder that you can deliver limited amounts to at say twenty percent moisture which they can feed up in a short time. That is what we do. We harvest one thousand bushels a day and deliver to local feedlot. Takes quite a while to harvest that way but it does get the crop off. Another guy I know has had to wait until March to harvest and it was still wet.

I finished my double crop corn yesterday. Moisture started at nineteen percent. Finished with a test plot at twenty five. It was irrigated and yielding around 145 bushel at 52 pound test weight. Corn was down due to high winds in the last three weeks. Had the potential to due much better just didn't have the right weather this summer. The corn I chopped for silage made about 18 tons. Should have chopped it all.

I have been using a dual purpose corn hybrid just for a year lile this. Maturity is 108 days. Planting population at thirty six thousand.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)