AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn: to dry or not to dry?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

OKfarmer
Posted 11/23/2008 09:06 (#514245)
Subject: Corn: to dry or not to dry?

SW of Enid OK
A little background,

This is DC corn after wheat. It got frosted right at black layer. It's seems to be taking a long time to dry down, most is running around 25% and the cobs feel soft and flexible and the tips of the kernel come off exposing the black. In this part of OKla. we typically don't get much snow till after Christmas. This time of year we can get a few inches but will usually be gone after several days and temps can range from teens at night to back in the 50's with in a few days. Our biggest threats are ice storms which you all are familiar with.
Not much corn in this area. My neighbor and I are outside the box.... He went up into Neb. and drug home a drier last week, so that's the only one in the area. All the grain here goes to a feedlot, mill, pig farm or elevator, no body has on farm storage. I see I have two options:

1. Neighbor picks it at 25% then he will dry it for .30 bu/ 10pts then will have to go to town will it,
or

2. Leave in the field for ??? weeks and let dry naturally.

Several post's I've seen here say "get it in the bin", but that seems to be up north where weather can be more severe and there is on farm storage and every farm has a drier. Thirty cents with today's market seems a little steep.
Any thoughts?
Jim
(Elevator will take it at 20% but with about .45 dock)

Edited by OKfarmer 11/23/2008 09:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)