AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is it a trend or what?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

west illini
Posted 11/23/2008 20:09 (#514805 - in reply to #514223)
Subject: Re: Is it a trend or what?

IL
I haven't seen a moldboard plow out my area yet. Most everyone is using a deep chisel/ecolotiger/ or the like, as they can get over the ground quicker than with a moldboard plow.
I chiseled some headlands that were tiled a year ago, and ends of couple fields that had lime applied. In all instances, when I ventured in my striptilled area off the end, it pulled so much easier. I have heard that of conventional folks that aquired ground that had been long term no tilled or stripped........it pulled so much easier. In my own operation, I till the area that the row unit will run in......am in 30" rows all around.

One thing that I learned relating to heavy residue, on my fields that are 3 and 5 yr corn on corn strips; the rows that had wheel traffic pushing stalks to the ground, had next to zero residue left between rows from the previous year. The row middles that had left the previous yr stalks standing still had the stalk carcass there. Which is causing me to look at adding stalk stompers to all the rows on my cornhead, to drive that stalk into the ground to deteriorate.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)