AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

planting on strip-till strips -- how do you do it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/22/2008 20:30 (#513894 - in reply to #513403)
Subject: RE: planting on strip-till strips -- how do you do it?

Driftless SW Wisconsin
You mentioned you have a mounted planter but you did not say whether the strip till bar is mounted or pull type. If you have significant side slopes, it is best to match up pull type strip till with pull type planter or mounted and mounted. Otherwise the tractor can be held perfectly in position but a pull strip bar and mounted planter will crab very differently. You can be 6" or more off even on moderate slopes. On flat groun probably not much of an issue. If you have something less than rtk, often folks will use autosteer to lay out the strips and when planting just shut the autosteer off and put the tractor tires between the strips - assuming you have matching strip and planter bar types. A couple years ago I had a pull-type strip till bar with additional 28 on it (heavy) made beautiful strips then came back the next day to plant with my mounted planter and really worked hard to keep the tractor tires between the strips. Turned around and found my planter was maybe a foot off of the strip centerline! Seems the heavy pull type strip bar had crabbed a ft downhill from the tractor even on moderate WI sideslopes. It is esp important with shank type strip till systems like yours to have the planter centered on the strip. Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 11/22/2008 20:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)