AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 10/6/2008 10:34 (#475941 - in reply to #475765)
Subject: Re: 1480

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Bluepaint - 10/7/2008 00:58

I've never seen a problem with the 1480 being shorter than the 1688 either....Although i've never done corn either.
Funny about the fixed top seives.....I hate mine and many neighbours have changed them for adjustables and are much happier....?

You hate the fixed chaffer ??, really ??, now you got me curious.
What brand chaffer and what crops are you using it in ?

I have a great sample with my Harvest Services brand air foil chaffers,
BUT, they do NOT work well in small seeded crops unless you do the whole setup.
Also there is Harvest services warning that all fixed air foil chaffers are not the same, and that some other brands do not have the right combination of hole size and air vanes to work like theirs.

On a crop where the seeds are small (IE spring wheat,flax, etc), where the shoe sieve needs to be nearly closed, you need to remove the front 4-5 rows of fins to create a hole up front that allows less air under the shoe sieve and more under the air foil chaffer.
Also the 14 series combines lack enough air under the front few inches of the chaffer, which with no air to resist it, allows all the heavy stuff falling off the auger bed to fall right through the front of the chaffer which overloads the shoe sieve and return system. You need to cover the front 8-12 inches of the AF chaffer with a sheet metal cover, HS sells what they call a "ripple tin", that is a stamped plate with ripples that matches the top shape of the chaffer and the ripples help "walk" the material to the rear of the chaffer. Blocking the front part of the chaffer with ripple tin also makes more air available for the rest of the chaffer which makes it work better.

Without the other mods, the Harvest Services fixed chaffers do a poor job in some crops,(dirty sample) , but with the shoe sieve mod's and ripple tin added to the chaffer, they clean with the best out there.
I also like how durable and light they are (easy on shoe shake mechanism) and fan speed being the only needed adjustment.

Edited by Jon Hagen 10/6/2008 10:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)