AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

P&K + StripTill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

puma
Posted 9/24/2008 14:15 (#468364 - in reply to #468307)
Subject: Re: P&K + StripTill

Alright, I have a question for Greywolf or Jim, or whoever can answer it.

I understand what you are saying about cutting rates and maintaining the same amount in the band.

ie: "the fertilizer in the 7" band is concentrated (30/7)-1 = 3.3 times the fertilizer concentration that it is in a 30" full broadcast width." so cut by 1/3

But Greywolf says: "somewhere in the neighborhood of 20% of applied will be available to the crop that growing season. 20% of 35 is 7. The remainder comes from the natural release from early (earlier?) applications"

If I would apply 100lbs broadcast, 20% would be 20lbs available for this year, the rest would be tied up for later. But, if I apply 66.6lbs, I have to expect 30% available (due to higher concentrations in the band) to get the same amount (20lbs) available. That sounds reasonable, but here's where my question lies.

If I cut by 1/3, won't I be lowering the amount I have available for later years in half (70% of 66.6lbs (40)vs. 80% of 100lbs (80))?

We are seriously considering moving towards banding our fertilizer with lowered rates, but this is one part of that move that isn't real clear to me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)