AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Machinery Oil Change Screwups
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MNRyeGrower
Posted 9/23/2008 15:34 (#467503 - in reply to #467086)
Subject: Re: Machinery Oil Change Screwups

Central MN
Not Really an oil change screw up per se but engine oil related and certainly a screw up. Had older Owatonna Swather in a remote field swathing Rye and the Fuel Pump on the inline 6 cylinder Ford gasser started spitting gas out a little hole. Well, it was late on a Saturday and we knew there was no way to get a new Fuel pump yet that day so to keep on going I plugged the little hole with (of all things) a pencil. Jammed it in the hole and snapped it off.

Started the engine, no spitting fuel, problem solved..........

While it was running and about to get going again I noticed fluid starting to spill out a breather cap. This got progressivly worse within seconds and I could smell gasoline YIKES!!!!!!!! "SHUT IT OFF NOW !!!!" I yelled to my dad who was in the seat at the time. I then yelled GAS ON THE MANIFOLD............RUN!!!!!!!!!!. We ran a few feet away and I waited for the certain explosion that thankfully never came.

Here is what happened:

The fuel pumps have a safety pressure relief feature that blows a little plug in the side (the hole of which a pencil fits in nicely).

Fuel pump diaphram was bad and pressurizing other parts of the pump that also lead directly into the engine it was attached to. Once plugged, it pushed gasoline into the oil pan.

Oil pan filled with Gasoline and started to escape out the breather.

I have no idea why it never blew up sky high. Drained the oil, replaced with new oil, ran for 10 mins and drained and replaced again.

Its probably the cleanest the inside that engine has been since it was new and has been running like a top ever since.

I would NOT advise this method for cleaning the gunk out of your engines oil systems.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)