AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

coulters for 1200 planter in wheat stubble?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

cottonfarmer
Posted 6/29/2008 21:33 (#406990)
Subject: coulters for 1200 planter in wheat stubble?

west Tennessee
well when we traded one of our 1200 case ih planters last fall for a new one, we ordered this one with 23 wave yetter coulters just so we could do a better job in double crop beans.....

well we ran the coulters in the highest setting on about 1600 acres of soybeans and they did a fantastic job!

Then the problem arised.... we started planting double crop beans behind wheat and couldnt get the seed in the ground... so we lowered the coulters.... it got worse.... long story short... the planter will plant beans 2 inches deep in wheat stubble with no coulters on it at all... but you cant get over a half inch deep with the coulters on in any position.....

The coulters will actually ride on the wheat stubble and hold the unit up out of the ground! all the weight is on the coulter and it pushes the stubble down in the ground but will not cut through the straw!

so what do I do now? do they make a coulter with a smooth straight blade that maybe would slice a trench open?

complaint number 2...... after 2400 acres of soybeans the bearings in the disk openers on the unit are down! i mean down,,,, ball bearings falling out of them!!! this same thing happened to me last year but I attributed it to being so dry... not this year! MY CASE REP IS DEFINITLY GONNA GET A CALL IN THE MORNING!!!

DAVID
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)