AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

calibrating yield monitors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ChrisTN
Posted 6/25/2008 00:06 (#403996 - in reply to #403915)
Subject: Re: calibrating yield monitors

Ethridge, TN
This can be a tough go if you don't have easy access to a set of scales. We happen to have scales on the grain cart, so that makes it fairly simple to calibrate the two combines. Yes, you need to make several loads/tasks, depending on who's monitor your talking about, to get real accuracy out of it. If you have several acres of crops, we go as far as to calibrate for varieties, as there were some fairly wide swings in the wheat this year that we harvested. Different test weights can make the flow striking the plate differ more than one might think. Definitely need separate calibrations for each individual crop, and while the calibration from one year will give you a good starting point for the next, the crop will be different enough that if you really want accuracy, you'll need to calibrate each year.

For the poster that asked about differences in the monitors, unless Deere has changed, the one point I don't like, is that they are single point calibration. Ag Leader allows you to enter several loads for calibration, and then will self average them for your calibration. If I remember right, you need a minimum of 3 loads to actually even get a "real" calibration. Been running the CaseIH 600 Version this year, and it's different than the past Ag Leaders I've used. To get an averaged calibration into the Deere, you'd need to take your loads, average them yourself, and then enter that number, unless they have changed the newest version????? Other than that, there isn't that huge a difference in the components that make up the systems.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)