AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low cost RTK vs omnistar
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 6/20/2008 12:36 (#401408 - in reply to #401370)
Subject: RE: Low cost RTK vs omnistar

Pat H - 6/20/2008 09:56 We would really like to apply manure in strips we could plant back over in the spring. Manure is applied usually in 5 rows at a time and we plant 12. I've looked at the mojo rtk and it looks nice, but it looks like 'to really catch fish' I need to spend $16K ($13K for the mojo + $3K for glonass upgrade). While full rtk would make harvest a little nicer (we combine 8 rows, plant 12), I'm thinking that if the strips are laid out decently, the planter markers would work good enough. I realize in normal strip till getting off the strips is really bad, but I'm guessing with manure I have so much more volume that my 'strip' would be wider and more forgiving. Right now I have a EZG+, T2 and EZ steer that I've been using in the sprayer with mixed results (big booms winding up, steering motor brkt was too 'floppy' on steering column- maybe now fixed). I'm hoping to get it dialed in pretty well this summer so I might be ready to try it applying manure. To add omnistar do I need a different receiver or is there an upgrade to the ezg+? Or, are there other rtk systems available at lower cost or used (like outback) that would do what I need (but would they work with the ez steer)? Thanks, Pat

We used the MojoRTK system with an EZ-Steer for planting this year and were very pleased with it. We hired out strip tilling (NH3) done. The guy had a 12 row strip tiller with a high end AutoFarm RTK system. We planted with a 16 row planter. Like I said we were quite pleased. You will find that the slower speed of planting helps tremendously with what an EZ-Steer can do. Combine that with the accuracy of RTK and you're in tall cotton. We did not purchase the glonass upgrade and after one season of planting we see no reason to purchase that upgrade in the future. However, we do not have trees or other obstacles that could cause premature signal loss. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)