AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IH 966 slow Hyd at the remotes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Redwrench
Posted 3/23/2008 22:41 (#340456 - in reply to #340138)
Subject: Re: IH 966 slow Hyd at the remotes

You say the 3-point works fine, but have you tried to pick a heavy load with it? Remotes use the same pump, relief valve, internal supply porting, etc as the hitch, and normally if one system is weak, the other is getting bad right along with it. Hook up to the heaviest implement you normally run on the tractor, and see if it can handle still handle it.

The only "surefire" way to test the hitch/aux pump is to run a FlowRater test; preferably at the threaded port on the pump mounting flange. But even this can be misleading. One of the problems with the IH 06-86 series hydraulic systems is the internal porting; it can be difficult to locate a blown oring in the unloader valve, draft valve, or rockshaft cylinder. I used to routinely pull off the 3rd link cover so I could see an internal leak...but back in the day before CRS* I knew where the oil should be running down and where it shouldn't. Bet we haven't worked on more than five 66-86 series tractors in the last 3 years; it's all Magnums now.

The "detent click" assures you that the valve spool has been moved completely into the selected position. If you will check your external remote control linkage, I would bet you find wear in it somewhere between the cross shaft and the piece which attaches to the valve spool. If the valve spool is not moved fully into the raised position, the raise flow will be less than maximum, because you are not completely aligning the spool with the raise ports inside of the valve body.
By the way, the odds of the problem actually being in your remote valve are very slim. This valve has a moving spool, a moving load check poppet, and darn little else in it.

As mentioned above, a few 66 series had the optional external double-acting check valve mounted in the steel tubing between the remote valve and the coupler bodies. Generally, if one of these check valves malfunctions, you will get flow in one direction but not the other.

The paper hydraulic filter IS the suction screen.

Don't overlook the possiblity of your remote couplers and/or hose tips causing this problem.

*CRS: Can't Remember Sh*T

Edited by Redwrench 3/23/2008 22:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)