AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheat straw value
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

boiler
Posted 2/25/2008 16:38 (#319134 - in reply to #318632)
Subject: Re: Does straw interfer with no til beans?

I'm a firm believer in get the straw out of the field if you wanting to double crop. In the mid 90's when I was about out of college I rented a 750 drill and planted 20 acres. 10 acres was baled and 10 was not, the baled acres beat the un baled dramatically. If since had this same experience several times when I did custom work and for myself. The first expect ion to this rule was last year, I didn't bale anything plant the beans right behind the combine, however the wheat was poor and the straw was not very heavy. The beans made 29 bu/ac about the best I've had. I think I'm a little to far north for double cropping , however, for $13.00 I think I can try.

I have no prove of this theory, but I feel like there is some kind of toxicity to the emerging beans from the rotting straw. Finally when the straw is very heavy neither 750 or the 1560 will cut through heavy straw. Ive tried several thinks to spread, chop, mow, and cut higher and the beans always do better when the straw is out of the way. My $.02 worth.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)