AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheat straw value
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dumb Farmer
Posted 2/25/2008 00:29 (#318685 - in reply to #318363)
Subject: Re: Wheat straw value

East Palestine, Ohio (Columbiana Co.)
Ed, interesting links........thanks. A couple of points to add tho from what I 've seen "here". Usually figure on harvesting about 50% of the straw, as I don't clip stubble, and you do lose some that falls down into the stubble that the baler won't get, along with the chaff that the spinners scatter. Also, the root system is still there to help out erosion wise until we get our first rain and the field greens back up with weeds/grass/clover. So, if want to double crop you'll need to disk or burn down.
Also don't know how long it takes for straw to breakdown enough to turn back nutrients to the soil, but I do know Icould walk out right now and pull back this years corn fodder and find last years straw still there.
DC beans "here" pretty much pure crap shoot all weather related--need soil moist in July and Late Sept/early Oct.frost to even have a chance of harvesting anything.........need som way to fly seed on last week of June or so.
Also pretty confidant I will sell any/all straw or hay that gets baled.......................Price,........well,........have to see about that.~
The Dumb Farmer
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)