AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Foliar P
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ham
Posted 2/22/2008 21:39 (#317046)
Subject: Foliar P

Blvd d'Espair Bowhill, Sth Aust
Has anybody used any liquid P products as a foliar delivery of Phosphorous ?
My question relates to cereals, but i am interested in anybody's experiences on any crops.
These products are only just being presented to us, and go against everything I thought i understood about P, mostly that it is required very early in the plant's life, and deficiency cant really be made up later, as most other elements can be.

That being said.. we have moderately high pH. highly calcareous soils that supposedly tie up applied granular P very rapidly, and this is a low rainfall environment.. 300 mm ( 12 inches ) annual average. Growing season rainfall is about 8 inches on average, but varies widely. The inference seems to be that by applying P at 5 leaf stage, it is a more efficient means of delivery in these circumstances, tho it may not be the preferred method in different circumstances. Even with the use of the foliar P, it is considered important to apply some P with the seed down the seeding tube.

Thoughts, opinions, experiences..? I still fear 5 leaf stage is too late....
I also wonder if these types of products are depending on farmers grasping at straws as we try to deal with the massive increase in input pricing.
Snake oil ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)