AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best snowplow truck... Ford or Chevy?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Oliver1
Posted 2/7/2008 22:53 (#304192 - in reply to #303942)
Subject: RE: Best snowplow truck... Ford or Chevy?

Alton, Ia
I have a 7.5' western on a 1500. They told me I was borderline and needed to beef up the front end, or better yet trade in for a 2500. I almost agreed with them and did the trade. What a bunch of BS, the 1500 works fine. I've had it on 5 years now, no problems. When you get really deep snow, what counts is weight, I normally put ~600# between wheels and gate, last March during blizzard I bumped it up to maybe 1200.

If you get around buildings, you want agility. Tight turning, good visibility, quick acceleration, etc. are what counts. I would think the gas would be a spunkier there. You'll be amazed how much shifting you end up doing, at those times the lighter the truck the better. I have a friend who does lawn care and snow removal, he had a blade on F250, got a Jeep and put a blade on that. Says he loves it, incredibly agile, quick, etc. I think he's nuts, but he says it's the best he's ever had.

Another consideration- a few years ago, warm winter, had plow on truck a whopping 12 hours all winter. Loved that one. Last two years have made up for that, for sure. But you may not have it on as much as you think. I can drop mine in a minute, about 2 to remount, newer ones are even faster supposedly.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)