AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

grinding round bales
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 1/24/2008 03:22 (#291461 - in reply to #291378)
Subject: RE: Cost per hour?

I don't doubt your fiqures on grinding, I've never even seen a grinder like that outwest, only on a freeway job, that was grinding trees removed for a road job. Then they spread that mluch along the road side. It was a big Haybuster on a semitrailer.

I was just trying to fiqure cost assos. with grinding. If a guy standing next to the grinder, pulling net off just before going into the grinder at a min. per baler? How many bales per hour does he chop? I'm thinking when I just used to fill a manger with bales on their edge, I could have a guy pull net off as we set bales up. I would put fifteen bales up in about 15 minutes( I guessing that was about the time frame).

So if your custom guy could grind 60 bales per hr.? Taking 1 minute per bale to remove net?( that is a high fiqure I think for 2/3 of the bales with net not frozen to them too hard). If you ground 3,000 bales a year 3,000 bales/60 bales=50hrs.x$150 per hour=$7,500 extra to take net off. $7,500 will buy you three grade Hol. springer heifers @$2,500 hd. if it killed cattle by eating the net? I'm not saying it will kill cattle, I don't know, but I think that is about double the price it would cost to remove net from 3,000 bales. So for say $4,000 is it worth it to remove net before grinding it to feed to $2,500 cows for a year? I don't know?

I do know with my two bale Brandt processor it is no big problem to remove it before grinding it( yes it is a pain in the A** to do) I usally only grind old hay, spoiled, mostly in just the winter months when tractor are freed up to grind( I never grind them during haying season, plus at that time I'm feeding new crop hay that are only 30-60 days old that are easy to feed with a pitchfork or round bale feeders). The real reason I grind hay is that I have to bed a loafing shed about every other day with straw for about 2-3 months so I will grind most all the hay fed at that time. So I feed the worst old( three or more years old) bales to some beef cows at home then. They really clean it up no waste, then I go back to feeding better hay to them.

All this thinking has made my head hurt! Why have we made life so complicated, I can just see Hay Wilson telling to graze these cows to be more profitable( I try to graze everything I can)! I couldn't sleep so look what this has done to me now!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)