AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

grinding round bales
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dlerwick
Posted 1/22/2008 11:43 (#289624 - in reply to #289443)
Subject: Re: grinding round bales

Western Nebraska
We have a Knight 5055 vertical mixer wagon and your question is my biggest gripe about the thing. It is impossible to get the twine off of the bales easily. I run the loader tractor up to the wagon from the back end so I have most of the bale within easy reach when I climb the ladder and stand on the raised conveyor. That is for round bales, if I am using big squares I take all but one string off of the bale and then I put it right over the edge and climb the ladder and cut the last piece of twine. It just depends on the bale, sometimes I can cut the string and grab the twine before the augers grab it, other times I have to pull it out of the bunk. If the snow or ice is bad I shut the wagon off before I put the bale over the edge so the augers don't catch the twine. Net wrap is a pain all the way around on a mixer wagon. It balls up worse on the augers if you don't take it off, and if you take it off on the ground there is a good chance you will be pitching a whole pile into the wagon.

The problem of getting the twine off the bales is the biggest complaint I have about these wagons. It seems to me that they should have made some sort of platform to stand on to take the twine off. I know they probably didn't do it for the whole liability issue, but it ends up being less safe the way they are now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)