AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need help with High Tensile Fence
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Fenceman
Posted 1/1/2008 13:59 (#272759 - in reply to #272727)
Subject: RE: Need help with High Tensile Fence

NE
Toby ,
Alot of unknowns here but I'll take a wild guess at what could be going on ? You are blaming the wrap arounds ...not sure if you know where thats the problem or just assuming ? My guess is if you say the brace wire is snapping... maybe your hot wire is touching or too close to the brace wire itself causing your corner post to conduct the charge and you are blaming the insulator for the wrong reason ? Also the hot wire could be shorted in a line post somewhere and the supposable neutral wires is carring it back to your corner post? Do you have a fault finder voltage tester...that would narrow down your culprit in a hurry ..very handy tool if you have much electric fencing. If you're sure its the wrap around it almost has to be that its too short to wrap around your BIG corner post without arcing or the UV has it destroyed but I'd think you could tell that by looking? You can use a Double U type insulator which is put in the hot wire line itself and eliminates any shorts with your corner posts. There are different types , porcelain,plastic etc. I use both....both have thier pro's& cons.
The pro's for both is you can get the hot wire away from your gate wire or chains making it less likely to shock you while opening and closing the gates,obviously you don't worry about your corner post shorting and you can place the Dbl U out beyond your end section to prevent any interference with your brace wires and such. The con's are there are varying degrees of quality of these products. Most the time you get what you pay for ..not always but general rule of thumb. With that being said the plastic type is prone to break in years from UV exposure and the porcelains can and will break/crack from wire pressure or obuse. The cost difference between good wrap arounds and Dbl U's are about the same ..somewhere in the .50 - .85 range .
Don't know if I've answered any of your questions..but I'd really question if the wrap around is faulty or if you have a hot wire short somewhere else in your system thats causing your corner posts to be hot ? What type of line posts are you using and better yet what kind of insulators are on them ? If you have wood posts and have a tube insulator stapled too tight it can/will make your other wires hot and carry back to the end also ? How many wires are you using and are any of the others grounded ?
A simple check with a fault finder or a digital tester could zero you in on your problem fairly quick by checking various places and different wires too see or eliminate options. Good Luck and let me know if I helped you any or confused you more !
Fenceman
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)