AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

soybean yields
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

IL_no_till
Posted 10/10/2007 21:17 (#217465)
Subject: soybean yields

Central IL
not impressive. Whole field average was 41.4. Pretty much fit my initial seat of the pants guess of 40-42. Less than an inch of rain in each of July and August and more days of 90+ degrees than I care to remember.

Asgrow AG3602 30.8bu/A 8.7 avg moisture 59.8 avg test weight
Pioneer 93M42 46.5bu/A 9.4 avg moisture 57.6 avg test weight
Growmark HS3846 45.8 bu/A 11.1 avg moisture 55.8 avg test weight

This is in no way a replicated trial. These 3 varieties were in 3 blocks in the same field, but the soil type varies greatly from one end to the other. These numbers should not necessarily be compared at face value against each other, but I do now know one variety that doesn't fit on my farm in a hot drought year.

The strange parts are based on 2 years ago with entirely different varieties, the worst beans this year were where the best were then, and the best this year are where the worst were then. Can't wait to get the soil tests back to see what they show.

The AG3602 I posted on I believe in August thinking they were completely gone in a hot dry spell. After a very small shower the tops popped up some, but the bottoms of the plants were pretty much dead. The 93M42 were 52 inches tall in many areas, however, they were subjected to the worst deer damage in some areas. About 2 acres went at zero.

EDIT: I should also say, I realize I don't have it as bad as I could have. I know many have it worse. I know it's not fun running a combine through poor crops. I do know there a lot better out there, and some not far from me that caught some of the stray showers at the right times.

Edited by IL_no_till 10/10/2007 21:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)