AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

While on the subject of Crop insurance.......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Rich
Posted 9/12/2007 03:16 (#202433)
Subject: While on the subject of Crop insurance.......

Kansas
Anyone else read what passed back in july from the house about crop insurance and advanced direct payments?

Here's a copy of the article I recieved from my weekly farm bureau report to my email for those that missed it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senator Pat Roberts and House Agriculture Committee Chairman Collin Peterson (D- Minn.) offered their thoughts on the 2007 farm bill at Kansas Farm Bureau’s annual Legislative Leadership Breakfast in Hutchinson during the opening weekend of the State Fair.

Roberts, who sits on the Senate Agriculture Committee, predicted that the 2002 farm bill would have to be extended when it expires at the end of this month because the Senate’s September workload is already heavy. The Senate Ag Committee has yet to see a version of the bill, although Chairman Tom Harkin has released a draft of the commodity title.

Roberts said his priority is to protect direct payments and crop insurance, which he characterized as the programs that best help farmers. Roberts said that too many people want to use crop insurance as “a bank” to pay for other- albeit worthy- programs.

The farm bill that passed the house in July cut $3 billion from the crop insurance program and moved those funds to the Nutrition Title. In addition, the bill eliminates advance direct payments and moves up the premium payment date such that farmers have to pay their crop insurance premium before they’ve planted a crop.

Peterson said while the House-passed bill isn’t perfect, it did maintain the safety net for farmers.

Regarding crop insurance, Peterson pledged “We will not damage crop insurance when we finish this bill. That is not our intention.” He said staffers are researching the crop insurance issue and he expected that research to be done by October. He hopes to find out how changes can be made in the program while making sure it continues to work for farmers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cute, real cute. What is the Nutrition title? Welfare food stamps?? I'm gonna blow a gasket if it is.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)