AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Clover question for the grass seed guys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 8/30/2007 01:09 (#195552 - in reply to #195536)
Subject: Re: Clover question for the grass seed guys

If you can, get the full length of stem from the crown on up. The cut should be down by the crown if possible.

If you have morningglory in your clover, you may have trouble. It depends on your area and the breed of morningglory, but here it will smother the clover. Morningglory is a bigg no-no that we spend good money on spendy chems to clean up at every rotationary chance we get. Paramount is a good one for mg around here.

Yields are all over the map. We usually plant a variety of red clover known as hedges. It will yield the highest for our local fields. Cinnamon is another clover that has some folks sold on it. But just good ol' common is as.........well, common as it gets. Some low years will see 400lbs/acre. Some high years will see 1100lbs/acre. We've been lucky and most times have been well over the 800 mark for 1st year stuff and 600-800 for second year.

I'd be willing to bet the main reason you dont plant in the fall is the heaving the plant will take in the freeze. If you plant it on the freeze, then I'd bet you get a lot of frosty nights and thawing days while going into winter and out of winter.??? When a lot of crimson clover was grown here, it would be planted with a grain for the heaving problem. Then in spring was hit with select to kill the grain.

Also we will usually put some soluable boron on the clover with the insecticide. The fall fertilizer will change from year to year, but will be usually high in K and S.

I'm not up to date on the latest fungicides that are "labelled" for fungal pressures sometimes seen, so I'll refrain from comment on open forum if you get my drift.

What fertilizer program do you use on your wheat that the clover tolerates ok?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)