AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Clover question for the grass seed guys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pofarmer
Posted 8/30/2007 00:31 (#195536 - in reply to #195520)
Subject: Re: Clover question for the grass seed guys

Hey Don

Clover here is pretty much treated as a secondary crop. What is normally done is you take a full stand of wheat, and "frost seed" into it in February or March. The first year you will maybe get a late hay crop becuase the clover just stays at the 2-4 leaf stage untill the wheat comes off. The second year, standard practice, if the stand is good, is to take a hay crop, then once again if the stand is good, take a seed crop about now. Dry years around here are known to be good clover years. I don't know of any irrigated clover, or grass for that matter, although we are about to change that.

I'll have to do some research on chemicals. The guys at the coop will think I've lost my mind(again). The main problem I see right now is a pretty strong stand of morningglory, although I don't think that will present a problem next spring, and could actually make some darn nice quail habitat this fall(no subsidies required;0)

Oh, what's typically done after wheat is double crop beans, but, this year, the clover is going to beat that all to hell. We normally don't direct seed in the fall, I've never asked why, probably because we are normally sowing wheat too late to let the clover get germed and established good.

What kind of yields do you guys typically expect?

Oh, and I'll try to get some stems tommorrow. I assume it needs to be right down at the base of the crown? I should get the new head on and operating in the morning and I don't think I have any meetings or "honeydoo's" tommorrow afternoon. Thank God, this week with school being back in has been a mess.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)