AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Clover question for the grass seed guys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pofarmer
Posted 8/29/2007 23:02 (#195458)
Subject: Clover question for the grass seed guys

I've kinda sorta had this conversation with Ole Pokey, I beleive, but not recently, and, well, stuff goes under the bridge.

But anyway, just wondering what the typical practice was for growing clover for seed. Fall planting? Spring planting? Two years of seed? Haying? Row width? Weed control options?

Typically, redclover here is interseeded in a full stand of wheat and is basically a "scavenger crop" You really don't know what you have a lot of years untill the fall.

Also, I have a two year old stand of Red clover that I am taking seed off of now. It is interseeded with Timothy but the spring freeze combined with army worms and drought seem to have taken a toll on the Timothy. The red clover has really outcompeted it and is doing pretty well. Is there a chance there will be enough volunteer come up that this will remain a viable stand? Is it typical to leave a stand or just tear it up and go to something else? I am really questioning if this Timothy stand is going to be good enough to be profitable next year. One option, I suppose, would be to no-till interseed Brome in the next month, and see how that plays out. Brome is yielding well here and standing up to our heat and drought much better than the Timothy, it would seem.

I suppose I rambled, thanks for any suggestions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)