AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wheat infurrow ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 8/21/2007 11:56 (#190816 - in reply to #190733)
Subject: Re: wheat infurrow ?

Coldwater, Michigan
The main effect of backing the seeding rate off will be an increase in the tillering. That's neither good or bad. It just depends on what you want. It may affect standability in a heavy grain year, but I wouldn't stake my life on that.
Just be sure you don't back the seeding rate off too far. It could also affect your weed control by not covering the ground enough early on.

Kevin, 10-34-0 w/zinc should make an excellent wheat starter program, if in your case you have the liquid setup. Got it done did you? While I would debate whether 10-34-0 was as good as my 6-24-6 starter on Corn, when it comes to wheat, I don't have nearly the information. In our area the 6-24-6 @ 5 gallons in-furrow with seed placement usually will increase the wheat yield over 300# of 8-32-16 broadcast by 8.5-10 bushels. I would expect the same type of response to the 10-34-0 with Zinc.

One of the reasons the Zinc in the 10-34-0 will do so much is that every seed of the wheat will get some zinc. If you were to broadcast the zinc with dry fertilizer, only the wheat seed nearest the zinc would get the benefit of it. This is only one of the benefits of working with liquids. If you need to build soil tests of the major elements, then dry fertilizer is definitely the way to go.

Edited by Bill Moyer 8/21/2007 11:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)