AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wheat infurrow ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

TxFarmer
Posted 8/20/2007 19:51 (#190340 - in reply to #189449)
Subject: Re: wheat infurrow ?

Panhandle of Texas

All we put down around here is NH3 for our hard red winter wheat.  I finished putting down the NH3 a couple of weeks ago, and we usually sew the wheat around the 15th-20th of Sept., depending on rainfall during that time frame...  Around here, we usually put down about 50# of N (we're talking about dryland, here); and we usually come in with pretty good yields (all the wheat around here gets grazed, too).  We all know that moisture has more to do with it than anything....This year, we averaged in the 70's (BPA).  If it is looking like it is going to be a good year, I will pull soil samples in the spring, and top-dress with Urea if necessary.

Personally, I 'plow' the NH3 in; meaning I have a NH3 setup on my JD 1610 chisel plow.  Every shank on the back row has a NH3tube on it (a tube along side each wing of a 18" sweep), and one or two (total) on the front rows of shanks.  I don't know for sure, but I would guess the spacing of the fertilizer to be about 24".  Just about everyone I know around here has a very simular, or the same set-up.  I use JD 9300 or 9400 hoe drills, 10 or 12" spacing...we sew about 35 lbs/acre of wheat.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)