AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bull EPD Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

RCD
Posted 11/22/2011 16:32 (#2062725 - in reply to #2062483)
Subject: Re: Bull EPD Question

West Central Iowa
"I don't think most breed associations use performance data from embryo calves to calculate EPD's."

I know they don't. But two embryo full sib bulls will have identical EPD's to start with regardless of their actual performance because they have to assign something on an Interm basis. The EPDs will remain unchanged until progeny records from natural or AI service are turned in .

"They also don't compare your calves to your neighbors when calculating EPD's."

Indirectly they are comparing the performance of calves in my herd vs. calves in other herds. If my neighbor and I have identical genetics, but he takes the high input approach pushing high levels of gain and his calves weigh on average 100 lbs more at weaning than mine who are in a low input program, the EPDs of the calves as well as the sire and the dam will reflect it. His EPDs will get higher over time while mine will start to trend lower. Programs who utilize high levels of input are always rewarded with higher performance based EPDs.

Why do seedstock producers feed both bulls and heifers to what is considered to be overly fat.

1. Buyers pay more for fat animals
2. It artificially inflates EPDs which is a marketing tool to many producers.

It doesn't make it right but fat DOES sell!

Edited by RCD 11/22/2011 16:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)