AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bull EPD Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/22/2011 09:58 (#2062155 - in reply to #2061954)
Subject: Re: Bull EPD Question - integrity and new "Cow Size" EPD

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Dave, As you point out, the integrity of the EPD's are highly dependent on the integrity of the breeder.

However I have the highest regard for Jerry Huth's EPD's. A breeder who fudges on the numbers will be discovered over time when bulls don't pan out as the EPD's would predict.  The two bulls I have purchased from Jerry have turned out exactly as their EPDs predict.

When buying a bull, especially for a novice like me, it is important to deal with a breeder you can trust. He could have sold me about any bull he wanted to get rid of. Instead he listened to what I told him about my system, conditions and goals and picked out bulls which met my needs. They are not perfect but were in my price range and had the traitsd that were important to me.

Speaking of EPDs I just noticed that the American Hereford Association has added a new  EPD to U070's fall 2011 EPDs (and I assume others) which predict the mature cow size of a bull's heifer calves.

I will add the fall EPD graph picture. This is very useful for those of us looking to go to smaller (1100-1200lb) mature cows.

This is another case where all the bars far to the right is not always a good thing. I am glad the AHA added this. And again from the looks of 070's calves the EPD does seem to  correlate with what I see in the pasture.

Here is U070s FALL 2011 EPD graph with the new Cow Size EPD added.

Jim at Dawn

(U070 FALL 2011 EPD GRAPH.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments U070 FALL 2011 EPD GRAPH.gif (29KB - 72 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)