AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bull EPD Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ih_jon
Posted 11/22/2011 10:46 (#2062253 - in reply to #2061768)
Subject: RE: Bull EPD Question

Jim you bring up some good questions. I have often thought of the variables in the enviroment, feed, and management from when a calf hits the ground until it is sold, weaned, or finished.

When it comes to genetics I think trying to avoid extremes, picking solid consistant bulls that fit your management style is important. I really pay attention to accuracy of each trait. Another way to think about it is how reliable are the numbers? Something to consider is how heritable is the trait, how easily it is passed on to the next generation. Fertility traits come to mind, being lowly hertiable compared to weaning wt. which is more easily passed on to the next genteration. I wish I could remember more of the numbers of how easily each trait is passed on.

Another thing to keep in mind is how did they come up with the numbers, what are the numbers of your bull for example being compared to, to be displayed in the graph the way they are. Across the bottom of the graph it says 50 percentile is the average for 2009 born calves. So your spring 2011 EPD's are being compared to the average for 2009 born calves.

I think these issues are why genetics are fun, it is fun to see how the calves out of your own bulls or bulls you are using are actually performing. I think EPD's are a good tool in selection, but not the only tool. I enjoyed reading the respones in this post, I thank you guys for making me think.

Jon
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)