AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Setting up a waterer-Not a livestock guy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Mapman
Posted 11/21/2011 13:53 (#2060773)
Subject: Setting up a waterer-Not a livestock guy

NEND
Just wondering if anyone has any tips on setting up a new waterer. I have very little experience with livestock. My wife has 3 horses and we have a couple fainting goats to water over the winter, and we may also have a dozen or so bred heifers over the winter as well. Temps get cold here, -30F will happen a few times this winter and will have lots of -20F nights. Going to be sitting outside but in a pretty protected place, and we plan on putting up some sort of extra protection from the wind. Here is our plan so far:

Franklin waterer sitting on an 8'x8' concrete base 8" thick. 4 feet of insulated 8" pipe under the waterer, and heat tape to 8 ft depth on the water line. Power comes in under the concrete with the water line at the 4 ft depth. Planning on putting 2 plug in's and a spot for a light bulb under the waterer. Plug in's are for the waterer itself and for our heat tape. Everyone we talked to told us to put a light bulb under the waterer so that is our plan. All wires, electrical box, etc. will be on the outside of the fence so animals can't reach them.

Is there anything that I am missing? Any tips/hints to make it a better setup? Excavator will be back on Wednesday so moving dirt is not an issue. TIA,

Mapman
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)