AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just enough to make it
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

TheBonePile
Posted 11/14/2011 14:44 (#2049558 - in reply to #2048870)
Subject: RE: Just enough to make it

Southeast South Dakota
Some things to consider:

I feel they must feel full or they will want out and be unhappy. (read need good fences) You have to find SOMETHING for filler (I am using cornstalks - of which they don't really like either)

It helps them feel full and sometimes to get them to eat stuff if it is wet or soaked. (they eat absolutely every crumb of ensiled cornstalks, but bone dry they like to just shove them out of the way.)

Feeding method and waste: However you are feeding, if you are wating 10 or 30% that 10 or 30% is gone - not even through the animal - so do everything you can to cut down on waste. I have a tiny herd - but I don't lose a 5 gallon pail of stuff every 2 weeks in this kinda weather when it doesn't get buried in snow

If they are full (read content) and still losing weight - just up the extra supplement protein and snacks

If you feed a cow too much protein it just goes through and gets wasted, so no sense in over doing it.

I don't mean to be mean here, because I am honestly kinda in the same boat, (be out of hay early spring) BUT what if it doesn't rain in April (I am atleast expecting some sonow - but we shall see).

one last thing - everyone in this part of the country grinds their crappy feed to mix in with their good feed. Grinding and mixing can make them eat something less desirable.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)