AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sold some calves yesterday
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NEIndiana
Posted 10/28/2011 15:11 (#2023586 - in reply to #2023297)
Subject: RE: Sold some calves yesterday

Columbia City, Indiana
NoTill1825 - 10/28/2011 09:21

Dad said the local barn owner quoted him $1.40/# for our 14 (mostly angus) 5-6 wt calves (bulls and heifers, no shots - no premium for those here). This barn tends to be 10-20 cents lower than neighboring barn, so I think we need to make a phone call down there to see how they sold yesterday. We were planning to keep most of these heifers and use up our silage/wet hay on these calves, but $25-125 more we could own young bred cows in there place and sell the corn. Probably a no brainer, but will they really bring $1.40/# and I know nothing about these other cows except some are red and some are blk/bwf and bred. We have 3 cows w/ July/Sept calves, not sure wether to sell them as pairs or singles. $1200 on the one would be great, but probably light on the other 2. Neighbor preg checked 40 cows this week, 14 bred , AI'd and 60 days w/ clean up bull.

Is Topeka or Shipshe higher? I've been hearing lots of guys say they have better luck at Topeka, so I've been going there the last couple of years. I don't sell many through the sale barn though, just cull cows and a few odd balls from time to time. In the past, it always seemed that Topeka was more geared towards dairy, but several guys have told me they feel they get treated more fairly by going there, so that's where I've been going.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)