AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sold some calves yesterday
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cotman
Posted 10/27/2011 09:28 (#2021685)
Subject: Sold some calves yesterday

NW Tennessee

Most all were black with a few Charlais cross gray calves. Sold 19 steers, weighed 558 lbs, brought $1.30. Sold two bull calves, weighed 665 lbs, brought $1.09
Sold 13 heifers, weighed 493 lbs, brought $1.215. All figures are averages. Sold a 9 year old herd bull, weighed 1800, brought .78
We are pleased with how they sold. Sold two groups of six steers, two groups of two steers, and a group of 9 heifers. The rest sold individually.
Some observations: Five and six weight cattle are bringing as much per pound as lighter weights, I assume this is due to the high cost of feed. We tag and band all calves at birth. The two bull calves' mamas wouldn't let us get them, so we sold them as bulls. Assuming all the extra weight gain and lower price can be attributed to them being bulls, it was pretty much a wash, price wise, on the steers and bulls. Sold cheaper, but weighed more. I was also surprised that pairs weren't higher than they were. They sold some pretty good pairs, although the calves were young, in the $1,000-$1100 range. I think maybe a couple of the better ones might have hit $1200. Cows were mostly yellow, 3-7 years old. And we had two Pinzgauer traited steers (black with white tail) out of a couple of our better cows that weighed exactly the same as the group of solid black steers (568 lbs) and brought .11 less. I had never noticed that in the past, but I do remember someone on here mentioning that before.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)