AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need Tips on Bottle Calves Do's Dont's and What to Watch out for
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 9/1/2011 08:59 (#1940973 - in reply to #1940544)
Subject: RE: Need Tips on Bottle Calves Do's Dont's and What to Watch out for

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
I hate to burst your bubble but, a $25 calf tells me it hasn't received colostrum, nor any shots. Also your statement about being a week off of going on bucket, well we sometimes put calves on bucket at a 1 1/2 weeks old. WE really try to wait till after 21 days.

Think real long and hard, at $ 25 per that doesn't pay for the labor to bring calf in the world, feed colostrum and bottle feed for three weeks. You are really running a risk of buying day olds, that never had colostrum, there is no incentive for hired help to give total care to a $25 calf. I do know that two years ago, in my area they would pay $25 for day olds. But calf was taken, and blood drained to make some kind of serum.

The best thing you can do is find a dairy, get a good working relationship, pay more for calf that has had total care. Then really watch calves for 3-4 weeks of sickness, feed the highest fat content milk replacer. I do like the Inforce 3 vaccine for day olds, also the dairy should have vac. cows with ScourGuard 4/kc. Also check to see that they don't have Johnne's disease.

Also you really must have a place to put the dead stock, because raising day olds has a real steep learning curve. Trust me I know, I wish I had $50 for all the calves I've lost over 20+ years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)