AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crossbred cows vs Purebred cows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

d4dave1
Posted 4/8/2011 13:45 (#1714481 - in reply to #1713646)
Subject: RE: Crossbred cows vs Purebred cows

Edson, Alberta, Canada

Perhaps I over simplify things for myself but the way I see it is the same as any other living organism. Over all health and growth is determined by the FIRST limiting factor. If you are short of any one nutrition or genetic factor then the over all success of that organism will be cut off at THAT factor. Add in environmental impacts and the equation begins to get complex. The best we can do as cattlemen is have a good understanding of genetics and, more specifically the genetics of the breed that appeals to us personally, cattle nutritional requirements and the environment in which we keep our cattle. 

Cattle producers were suckered into the colour competition by the cattle buyers many many years ago and anyone who breeds cattle (or any other species) specifically for colour is in a losing game. The best thing that could ever happen to the cattle industry (imho) as a whole is for every cow in the world to magically turn one colour and then cattlemen everywhere could focus on genetics that really matter.

The foregoing diatribe is the mindless ramblings of an old cowboy that lives in the middle of nowhere and should not be misconstrued as good advice, a personal attack, a political statement or fomenting revolution.

"It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money."  TTH.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)