AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Had the vet out today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jocofarmer
Posted 2/23/2011 07:49 (#1630582 - in reply to #1629962)
Subject: Re: Had the vet out today

East Central Iowa
Thanks for all the replys. The bull was a purchased bull and we have several more from the same place. I will, before we send him to get a blood and a stool sample to test for sure. The way the vet sounded that animals get johnes at 6 months of age or less. So if that is the case could the commercial bull seller have johnes in his whole herd or do they even test for that? The bull had more signs of johnes than just the, what looked to me like a lump, relaxation of under the chin. He also had a sagging brisket area and very loose manure. I will call the vet back to ask him about the possibility of wooden tongue. The bull though never shyed away from feed and ate very well with no pain. Also, the only time that the bull is around the calves is in the pasture. So hopefully that would help not transfer the disease because manure concentration is limited. Also, we have been only using our own replacements in the herd and only purchased bulls. So anything raised here would have a higher chance of having it correct? Nonetheless I think I will test several cows to get a good idea of the spread of the disease. What is a good percentage should I do to get a grasp on whats going on?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)