AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

effects of Early weaning
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jreiser
Posted 1/10/2011 01:26 (#1538433 - in reply to #1538136)
Subject: Re: effects of Early weaning

nc Ne
well here is what I have done for years started because of grass/drought shortage found it was the best for me. March / April calves wean by sep 1 . I have a green pen to turn them in after weaning. My cows are then free to put on their winter weight before the cold weather . Like Mark said they can survive on close to nothing. That calf needs good feed to grow however. I also like the early wean for the reason that I farm also and I have some time to wean in august . My cows are content while I am harvesting . If a cow goes into winter in good condition it is easy to maintain . It is tough to put condition on a thin cow when cold. I am able to run more cows on the same number of acres of grass because there will not be as many animals eating in the fall. I would like to try a fence system like mark mentioned just need to figure out how to keep them seperate that would be the ideal way to wean Just did that the other day on a pair that was with neighbors. Put in to seperate pens here . They just look at each other but hardly any bawling.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)