AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

effects of Early weaning
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 1/9/2011 20:43 (#1537861 - in reply to #1537778)
Subject: RE: 90 days perhaps a touch soon, say 120 to 140 days is ideal,

NEIndiana - 1/9/2011 18:12

Why is it better to vac and work when they're still visiting mom? What if you waited a few weeks after weaning so they were eating good?

If that works for you, I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it. I've done it both ways. "Here" most calves are still sold right off the cow and go down the road several hundred miles. In that case it's better to have the shots in them a few weeks ahead of weaning.

Calves weaned at home usually aren't subjected to the same amount of stress and disease exposure of being mixed with calves from other sources. Calves weaned on the truck need all the help they can get so one round of shots seems to be the accepted minimum. Some ranchers now doing shots both spring and fall before the calves get to the sale barn.

As far as the question on early weaning of your original post, I really don't feel qualified to comment because I've never tried it, at least not on purpose. Mark is correct that the cows will not require as much feed input if the calf is weaned early. But the calf will definitely require more. My thinking is it is the cow's job to raise the calf to 205 days.

Edited by John SD 1/9/2011 20:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)