AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dairy calf steers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

puff33m
Posted 1/6/2011 22:12 (#1531779)
Subject: Dairy calf steers

N FLA
Doing some more research on dairy steers, and cant find much feeding info. I guess textbook diet is milk replacer and grain for 8 weeks. How long must you provide milk replacer? Secondly, if you want to feed them to 400-500 lbs, can you use a forage based diet. Like rye/ryegrass. We would have something like in this pic from about Dec 1 through April 1. . But some things I read say you have to use a high energy diet, and some says grain based. This type of forage would have about 18% Protein and maybe 63 TDN. I dont know much else about the feed value. This picture was taken this week.

I found this, but not much information like it:
"Pasture-based Holstein beef production in Mississippi can be more profitable than stocker beef. The growth rate of a fall-born baby Holstein steer almost perfectly matches the seasonal growth rate of annual ryegrass pasture. Pasture was fertilized with a high rate of nitrogen, and spring gains were more than 3 lbs. per day. Calves were placed on pasture at 2 months and sold as feeder cattle by late May-before the summer heat set in. A good health program to reduce mortality was critical to profitability."

(DSCN2852.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN2852.jpg (93KB - 583 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)