AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Questions for deer hunters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

canadianeh?
Posted 11/27/2010 22:10 (#1457209 - in reply to #1457149)
Subject: Re: Questions for deer hunters

Saskatchewan, big whitetail country!!!
I get up in the morning, put on my 10 dollar pants, my free shirt, my 5 dollar toque, and my 5 year old sorels. Then I walk. This year through knee deep snow. Everything is white and grey. And 25 below zeeeero. And walk, and walk. While most everyone else is driving and driving and drinking and driving. Guess who gets a nice buck every year? Guess who has the lowest cost per pound? I use a 7mm remington magnum. One shell at a time. I should be using a pea shooter, cuz I'm getting perty good at getting close. My scent blocker is the wind and common sense. My last 4 or 5 bucks have been under 50 yards. Should be using my .22, cept our deer here are largeish.

What ticks me off is guys who come driving into fields when I am in or on stand, or still hunting the edges, wrecking my hunt. No etiquette, no permission asked, no deer hunting knoledge whatsoever. I also get a kick out of guys with their expensive crap.

Watched a deer hunting show last night, where a guy checked his several trail cameras, etc. and then he shoots a deer with piddly antlers, and which weighs about as much as a new born lamb... Says he, Wow boys looky here, looky here!!!!!! I've had my eyes on this deer all summer looonnnggg. What a great buck. And then I snicker. He has complained cuz it was 55 deeeegrees out today. As he hunts over a food plot where he put in 200 bucks an acre to feed the deer. The food plot is green like a golf course. Leaves on the trees.

But hey, he can't help it. I feel bad for southerners. Dang those deer are tiny. What do they weigh? They look like a jackalope sized animal. So therefore, the price per pound goes up exponentially.

My biggest cost is the pork to mix in with the venison for sausage. 3 years ago I shot a booner at 21 yards, about 60 paces from my house. The next year, I got one about 30 yards east of him. Then the next year, I got one about 20 yards north of the second one. So sometimes I don't have to walk far. Cheaper that way. Saves wear and tear on the sorels...LOL I am a blessed man. Farming sucks right now, but we can feed ourselves!!! And that is just the deer. I never talked of the grouse and moose and elk and bear and....

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)