AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for a good rifle scope.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

JK SCLA
Posted 11/27/2010 20:31 (#1457040 - in reply to #1456940)
Subject: Re: Looking for a good rifle scope.

The short mags: Long story. My main carry for deer was/is a Browning stainless stalker 270win, zeiss 3.5-10x40. When my son got old enough to hunt, I bought him a remington mod 7 mountain in 7mm-08 with a 4x monarch nikon, it is very light and I'd carry it often when walking since we would bring one rifle. After one year of problems and finding out he was left eye dominant, we went left hand. Bought a savage 7-08, Left hand youth camo synthetic blue, Burris FFII 3-9x40. It is also very light.

The story. I got spoiled to carrying these light rifles and started looking at ultra lights. Weatherby Ultra light, Browning abolt Ti, Sako finnlight ( I have several sako's), Kimber montana, x-bolt micro, etc.

Ran across a deal on Gunbroker on two, new in box A-bolt moutain Ti, a 270 and 300 wsm for a grand a peice, normally $1300 or better. I bought both. One (the 270wsm) is going in the back of the safe for a later birthday for my boy, He'll just have to shoot a rt hand rifle and a few years from now he will adjust.

The 300 wsm is mine, is replacing a 300 win mag, only b/c the Ti is available in a short action only. As far as the short mag revolution, I didn't fall for it, it is just the calibers available in what I wanted and was my chosing. The only thing they did for me was force me to buy another 2 sets of reloading dies. Ballistically, I do not see them being superior in any way, exc for allowing a shorter action/lighter rifle such as the titanium a-bolt. I realize they will probably beat me to death, but are not for plinking. Probably going to alberta next fall and wanted this.

As far as the budget for this, I don't drink, smoke, race trucks, or do any adolescent activities. Guns are my thing as is reloading. My dad was a rifle fanatic and it stuck. My brother and I have accumulated every caliber and stock style ever built in the (although not the most popular) Browning BBR bolt rifles, something he started.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)