AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

walking the corn fields.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Newguy
Posted 9/11/2010 00:24 (#1354936 - in reply to #1354679)
Subject: Re: walking the corn fields.

Renville Minnesota

Hey "neighbor".......

Its been an interesting year.     Don't know why it is, but it seems this year HWY 23 has been a magnet for water falls!   Hope it dries out.

Just looked at 40 acres we decided last minute to put in corn..... I mean real last minute.  I was 50 acres away from being done planting corn and pops called on the phone and said "I think we should put that 40 on Newmans back into corn"......I said.....umm.....Ok.     Called the fert truck in to float in urea, turned the popup up a couple gallons, turned the population up another 1000 plants/acre, put the trash wippers as low as I could, closed my eyes and planted it.   Looked like junk when it came up, called a neighbor with a liquid aplicator to put on some sulfur.......A week after, it looked like the neighbors across the road (good).    Lost about 4000 plants/acre, but the seed rep with me today, after the count, came up with 196 bu/acre......in that spot, today.    Not saying thats what it will be, but am saying the corn looked good in what logically should be one of our worst fields. 

This year all our dekalb corn started dying from the top down...... Pioneer, stine, channel, and wensman the opposite.....Here.   

I won't say USDA is right or wrong, will say many areas of the corn belt will be far below avg, many area's will be far above, and many will be the average.   

PS: we won't do Corn on corn anymore without adding sulfur.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)