AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

THESE YIELDS ARE A DISASTER IN ILLINOIS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 9/6/2010 20:30 (#1349172 - in reply to #1349083)
Subject: RE: Illinois Steve please tell me where I made

North Central Illinois
Well I'm sorry Tara. While you didn't come right out and say it you basically implied it by posting a bunch of plot results that were supposed to be above average. Sorry if I misenterpreted what you were getting at. I actually don't think the Illinois yield is going to be horrible. It just isn't going to be anywhere near what the country is used to seeing Illinois crank out. There is going to be some good corn in the state for sure. Just too much variation for the state to make trend. You cannot have the unevenness and denitrification across the "I" states that we have this year and have a record national yield. It just isn't going to happen. With little field work done last fall there was a lot of spring tillage done in the to plant the corn acres that we did. With the weather we have had since planting those fields have suffered greatly. It appears that the cream has come off the Kansas and Nebraska crops as well. While the Dakota's, Minnesota and northern Iowa will have some record yields it won't add up to a record national yield. You need consistenty across the cornbelt to achieve that. It aint there. I think it will end up somewhere between 160 and 164. A good crop but not enough for demand. Not 170 either. Illinwek is blowing off some steam so cut him some slack. He is under a lot of stress with what is going on. A month or two ago he was thinking 200 and now he is getting 130? Not good. I wish he hadn't used the word "disaster". That just seems to get everyone's hackles up. I'll know more about the local crop after tomorrow. Forgot to mention that I noticed over on the crops board that Illinwek used all AMS last fall for N. I think this may have contributed to the severity of his yield loss. Don't get me wrong he has had a tough go of it weather wise but a different N program might have netted him another 30 bushels too.

Edited by Illinois Steve 9/6/2010 20:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)