AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tools needed to load a large Hereford bull into a trailer (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 8/12/2010 12:00 (#1312066 - in reply to #1311198)
Subject: RE: Tools needed to load a large Hereford bull into a trailer (pics)

Jim, my poor old wooden crowd pen and chute is getting in pretty sorry shape. We noticed some of the newer treated fir planks I have have put on in the last 10 years are cracked. I think that happened this spring when I was running cows down the chute this spring for vaccination and pour-on. The cows and yearling heifers got PregGuard FP10 and generic ivermectin.

I hate to say it, but my loading chute is to the point where I drive one of my pickups with a grill guard up against it or else too much crowding would knock it down. I need to tear it down and start over, or possibly just rent a tub when I need it like many other guys do.

Gotta tell a story because your mention of your first impression reminds me of a couple other newly purchased bulls I owned from the same breeder. The bulls were temporarily alone in a small lot before I took them to the bull pasture. I had been somewhere with my trailer and had purchased some SmartLic tubs.

I was in the process of unloading these tubs out of the trailer into a building. I turned around and here were both of those bulls and they had stepped up side by side in to the trailer to get at those lick tubs in front. I had to open the escape door in front to shoo them into backing out since there was no way they could turn around.

Those bulls were certainly not wild or mean either. Curious more than anything, and they smelled something good to eat so they investigated. I can't remember if it was those bulls or the bulls I just sold. I just walked up to them in the corner of the corral and squirted them with the ivermectin, no chute necessary. I don't know of many Angus bulls I would even attempt to do that.

Edited by John SD 8/12/2010 12:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)