AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tools needed to load a large Hereford bull into a trailer (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 8/11/2010 16:12 (#1310766 - in reply to #1310111)
Subject: RE: Tools needed to load a large Hereford bull into a trailer (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I'm glad to hear you got them loaded and sold, John. My bull is evidently not the only one hesitant to get into a trailer.

Did you just open the full width door and try to herd them on?  I tried that once with one of the first cows I bought that turned out to have a very ornery streak and definitely needed a ride in the trailer. My neighbor and I wired a couple panels to the back of the trailer and herded her into the vee. Well she was not having any of this and ended up pushing one panel over on me almost breaking my arm. At that point I decided to build a handling facility with loading ramp.

I do work alone most of the time and especially with bulls would not attempt it without heavy duty tub and ramp etc.  With my setup once they get in the corral and I get the gate closed they are going where I want them to go and safely and I can do it by myself.

The article I posted below a couple days ago about hamburger indicates there should be good prices for bulls and cull cows for some time yet.  From your figures I could have received more for my bull as hamburger than what I sold him for as a breeder.  But at just 3 years old he is too good a bull for hamburger just yet. I wanted to see him out working for a couple years more at least. 

I agree with you on the Hereford disposition - makes working with (most of) them a lot easier. Having a good relationship with a breeder who is trustworthy and on the same wavelength as far as breeding, EPD's and management philosophy is very important to me as a commercial operation. He knows more about bulls than I do so I listen to him.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)