AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tools needed to load a large Hereford bull into a trailer (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 8/11/2010 20:53 (#1311111 - in reply to #1310766)
Subject: RE: Tools needed to load a large Hereford bull into a trailer (pics)

Jim, I loaded the bulls down the alley and through the tailgate slider door. The bulls are familiar with the chute because they have been down it each year to get pour-on.

It was not on this time but usually my For-Most headgate is on the end of the chute. Many times I don't bother to take it off, I just open the headgate and load the trailer through it. I would never try to catch the bulls with the headgate. Their necks are just too thick and the headgate won't adjust that much, nor do I care to even try it. So the headgate is just a gate to keep them in or let them out when bulls are in the chute.

The bulls know how to finangle their horns calmly through the open headgate without much difficulty. I have never given them a shot or branded them so they have had no unpleasant experiences in the corral while I have owned them.

Incidently, I did sign the drug free affadavit on these bulls, although I'm not sure it helped their sale. On the form there is a choice of two boxes to check.
A. The bulls are at least 50% Angus breeding.
B. The bulls are at least 50% Continental breeding.
Since these bulls did not fall into either category I did not check either box. But they are drug free. ;-)

Because I don't brand bulls I purchase I try to be especially careful to retain the ownership paperwork. I have a little plastic toolbox I use for this purpose. I keep the sale catalog, sale barn receipt, registration certificates, and most importantly the brand clearance paperwork. When I arrived at the sale barn I just handed the original white copy clearance I received on the date of purchase to the brand inspector.

Edited by John SD 8/11/2010 21:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)