AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tools needed to load a large Hereford bull into a trailer (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 8/11/2010 02:26 (#1310111 - in reply to #1308991)
Subject: RE: Tools needed to load a large Hereford bull into a trailer (pics)

LOL Jim, next time I load bulls I need to remember the beer and lawn chairs! I loaded up a couple of my Hereford bulls and sold them on Monday. They were 6 years old so I sold them after using them 4 breeding seasons.

I did call a neighbor who came over to help load them. Even though these bulls have always been gentle I don't like to work with animals this size alone. I had the bulls in the corral already with a few other critters. The first bull loaded easily and I gated him in front of my 16' bumper pull trailer. The second bull did not cooperate quite as well but was not wild or mean about it. He stepped up with his front end into the trailer while his back feet were still on the ground. No hot shot because I wanted to have a trailer and a chute remaining. Besides, I don't even own a hotshot.

After a little patience and tail-twisting by me and neighbor the bull finally stepped in and I slid the door shut. The bulls behaved very well on the trip to the sale barn. They were so tight with one gated in front and one in back they could barely turn around in the trailer.

I was pleased at what they weighed and how they sold. One bull weighed 2210 and the other 2165. They sold seperately for the same price of $75.75/cwt. I got the money back that I paid for them as 2yr olds in 2007. Not a bad deal which I'm afraid will not repeat itself for quite some time.

I hope my next Hereford bulls are as easy to work with as these guys were. All of the bulls I have had over the years from this particular breeder have had excellent dispositions. I am a satisfied customer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)