AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD Forage Harvester
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

idaho dry farmer
Posted 8/1/2010 23:34 (#1297354 - in reply to #1296298)
Subject: Re: JD Forage Harvester

Southern Idaho
Mr. Agco,

we ran a 5400 for about 10 years, they came stock with a 531 engine like the 7520 articulate tractors had, if it has the 619 some one upgraded the machine. stock about 200 hp on the 531 and about 275 on the 619, we now have a 5460 with the 619 and the dura-drum cutterhead. the 5400 probaly has the J-kinife cutterhead, you can remove and add knives for length of cut if you cannot speed or slow down feedroll gear box enough. very durable machine if taken care of, weak points we found was engine would heat if radiator was not kept clean, and the rear grill blown off, feedroll gear box should have synthetic oil to help with heating problems, seems like most have had injector pump work, why i dont know but all the machines i saw had the pump was rebuilt and either repainted or shined up so you could see they had been in it. we ran a 3 row silage head and a 6 row 643 head to pick earlage, (which was too much for it,) the duradrum gives alot more power as well as the bigger engine, the J-knives are expensive if you hit a rock you end up changing the whole knife instead of a single 6 inch blade. Kooima carried most of the parts we needed and our JD dealer had the rest, think the hydrostat and final drives are the same as the 66-7700 combines. other thing we did was change to a single auger box and got away from the double, any little thing you could do to take the load off of the cutterhead helpded.If it has been taken care of dont be afraid of it, but there really not worth much, got 5k for mine 5 years ago, and it was headed to Mexico (with the p/u and silage head) just my .02

idaho dry

Edited by idaho dry farmer 8/1/2010 23:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)